Church School - Sundays at 10:30 am
(September through late December & January through late May)
At Saint Paul's Cathedral we provide weekly Sunday morning Church School for all children ages 2 until 5th grade when children enter into our youth program. Presently church school begins at 10:15 with a gathering time. Starting at 10:30 we will divide into age groups to have a bible story and discussion or craft time.
Classes and Curriculum
At St. Paul's, we use a variety of curricula - each selected to best engage children at different stages of physical, mental and spiritual development. Each class will start the year in the Old Testament and then work their way into the New Testament during the seasons of Advent/Lent.
- 2 Year Olds to K: We are using the Spark House curriculum. This curriculum allows children to interact with the Bible in every lesson to help kids navigate the story and begin to compare what they learn to their own life.
- Kindergarten - 2nd Grade: We are using the Godly Play method of Bible stories. Godly Play is a creative, imaginative approach to Christian formation and spiritual guidance and is used widely in the Episcopal Church.
- 3rd - 4th Grades: We are using the Holy Moly curriculum. This curriculum helps kids imagine what the Bible characters are saying and thinking while watching the Bible story video. It also uses activities, interactive games, and creative crafts to engage in the Bible story.
- Junior High: We are using the Journey 2 Adulthood curriculum. This curriculum is designed to help develop critical thinking and responsibility while introducing new ways of engaging with scripture and prayer.
- High School: We are using the 4WARD curriculum. This curriculum emphasizes discernment and vocation. It includes robust Bible studies and focuses on service to the church and community.
Wednesday Night: Children and youth group will meet during Crowded Table after dinner together.
Sunday Night: Youth group will meet from 5-7pm starting September 11th.
Special Events for Cathedral Kids:
In addition to our Sunday morning programs we also offer a number of special events that help our Cathedral kids and their families grow in faith. We arrange our activities thematically throughout the year. Several of our big events include:
Advent Event: During the 10:30 church school time we have an intergenerational event to prepare for all things Christmas. We assemble Advent wreaths, make ornaments and begin to celebrate the coming of Christ.
Journey to the Cross: A Good Friday Stations of the Cross for families that includes interactive stations at 5:00 p.m. on Good Friday followed by a meal.
Easter Festival: Holy Saturday events at the Cathedral including an Egg Hunt, flowering of the cross, activities, breakfast burritos and more!
Questions about children and youth formation? Email Youth Minister, Philip Newcomer at [email protected] or Children, Family and Cathedral Life Minister, Ashley Ozan at [email protected].